Cafe Santa Fe Salmonella OutbreakOn May 1, 2005, the Arkansas Department of Health (“ADOH”) issued a press release announcing that an outbreak of Salmonella infections had occurred, and that there were nine confirmed illnesses so far. The outbreak was linked to food sold at Café Santa Fe in Benton, Arkansas.
An ADOH investigation revealed that the dishwasher was not sanitizing correctly; and cool foods were being placed directly on a hot holding steamer without first being rapidly reheated to 165º Fahrenheit. Several non-critical food safety violations were found as well. In addition, it appeared that at least one or two employees worked within days after seeking medical treatment for diarrhea and vomiting.