KFC Salmonella OutbreakOn January 17, 2002, the Boulder County Health Department (“BCHD”) received two reports of stool cultures that had tested positive for the bacteria Salmonella. Both cases were children, ages one and two. The children were not from the same home, nor did they attend a common school or daycare; however, BCHD learned that each infected child had eaten at the KFC located at 255 South Boulder Road in Lafayette, Colorado, 24-hours before the onset of symptoms.
BCHD inspected the suspect KFC, and found two counts of potential cross-contamination: water used to wet chicken pieces before battering, and the flour mixture used to batter chicken. Additionally, BCHD investigators cited the KFC for poor employee hygiene and “failure to maintain food at proper holding temperatures-hot hold at 140-degrees F.”
Tests conducted on the stool isolates from both infected children by the Colorado Department of Public Heath and Environment (“CDPHE”) confirmed that they were infected with the same strain of the bacteria: Salmonella Newport from the same source. As the initial investigation found, the only source that both children had in common was the food they ate that was prepared at the KFC.